View Single Post
Old July 8, 2013, 08:35 PM   #558
Webleymkv

Quote:
Like so many politicians, Quinn is just playing it safe. You will never know what is really in his heart as playing politics is more important to these folks. He wants to be able to state, that he did his best to defeat this bill, to his party and constituents.
Actually, I think he's gone beyond covering himself politically. The way I see it, Quinn could have simply signed the bill and told his constituents that the courts and legislature backed him into a corner and gave him no choice. It is obvious that even Chicago would rather have shall-issue than Constitutional carry.

Instead, I think that there are a couple of different things going on right now. First of all, I think Quinn wants to force Madigan's hand and make her appeal to SCOTUS. This way, if SCOTUS upholds the 7th's ruling (and they likely would) he can lay the blame on Madigan for not representing the state well enough (there seems to be a power struggle going on between Quinn and Madigan right now). Secondly, Quinn's position on the issue has been well known for a long time and even the majority of his own party defected and voted for a shall-issue CC bill. This has to be embarrassing to him and, quite frankly, I think that he wants to be obstinate about it because he's angry at the legislature.

Page generated in 0.02174 seconds with 8 queries