View Single Post
Old December 30, 2008, 12:04 PM   #7
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Last October, on another board, we were discussing the best pistol brass. While I was familiar with Starline, Winchester, Federal and Remington, I had just recently purchased some Magtech and Top Brass. So I was curious how they would perform against the two (Starline and Winchester) that I normally used in my .44.

This curiosity led to the following series of tests that began in mid October and ended shortly befor Christmas.

Load Data used:
Brass: 25 pieces each of Top Brass; Magtech; Starline and Winchester
Bullet: SIE 300gr JSP #8630
Primer: WLP
Powder: IMR 4227 | 21.8gr Note: WARNING: This is over all specs known to me. Use this load entirely at your own risk!
Caliber: .44 rem mag.
Firearm: Ruger NM SBH 7.5" bbl

Methodology: All brass was virgin and initially trimmed. During tests, each set of brass was retrimmed as needed.

Magtech and Winchester brass required the most trimming, both initially and during testing. Starline required little if any trimming initially and very little during the tests. Top Brass required no initial trimming and very little during testing.

I Fired 25 cartridges of each type of brass. After firing, each batch was tumbled, annealed (due to the heavy crimp required), and then reloaded.

Results: After 12 reloads, I have discarded all the Magtech brass initially used. Brass was either cracking at the mouth and/or primer pockets were enlarged to the point they would not accept (hold) primers.

After 12 reloads, I have discarded 13 pieces of the Top Brass initially used, for the same reasons as the Magtech. The 12 remaining pieces of Top Brass are showing signs of extreme wear, but may be good for another 2 or 3 reloads, at this load.

After 10 reloads, I have discarded all the Winchester brass.

After 12 reloads, I have discarded 12 pieces of the Starline brass.

Opinion: Starline and Top Brass appear to be comparable. Price and availability would be my determining factors in purchasing more of these two lines of brass.

Magtech brass appears (at this point, but see my bottom note) to be of higher quality than standard Winchester brass, but of lower quality than Top Brass or Starline. The price of Magtech seems to fluctuate more than the two top contenders. For normal everyday shooting, I wouldn't buy it unless the top two were unavailable.

Based upon my tests, I find that the best quality pistol brass in .44 mag to be:

Top Brass
Starline
Magtech
Winchester
Federal
Remington

Notes: Top place was given to Top Brass simply because it required the least prep, out of the box. I placed Winchester above Federal, again because it required the least prep. Both last about as long under heavy stress. Remington is, IMO, junk.

Despite the #3 position I have given Magtech, I may move it down the list. I feel it is too brittle, but I will see how it performs under normal (for me) loadings, before I make up my mind. If it performs, as I suspect it will, I will end up placing it just above Remington.

Page generated in 0.03455 seconds with 8 queries