View Single Post
Old November 14, 2008, 09:28 PM   #11
Waterengineer

Bigjim is a wise man about shotguns. It is obvious by his knowledge that he as been around them a while and is a thinking man. I bet he is a damn good shot too.

As you will note if you follow this board for long Jim is a big, big, big believer in the B-guns. He has made a believer of many and will make a believer of you to. Overtly Jim talks a lot about the B-guns but implicitly, Jim's real message is about fit (although the B-guns are very high quality.)

Note, that Jim talked about what fits him, we should all take a lesson from that.

On a slightly different note, and on a technical basis, after much studying, I think the most highly under-rated gun is the Franchi. I believe most people cast them off largely because of comparatively bad distribution and marketing, and albeit they are a smaller company. I also believe they are very close behind the B-guns in overall quality.

I would suggest looking at them because they can be found relatively cheaply (compared to their new asking price.) If you can find a late eighties or early nineties Falconet that would be very nice for the easily less than $1000 number.

One point though. The last two years Franchi has had some what seems to be random trouble with firing pin issues. I have not known anyone with this issue but there have been internet threads regarding it.

I used a Franchi for a number of years as my clay games gun, trying to decide if I am committed enough to buy something else. I am in the process of relegating the Franchi to the pheasant and chukar grounds. I am in the process of finding a Browning that fits me for clay games after learning about fit and what I want in a gun.

I am also fortunate to live within about 15 miles of one of the country's great shotgun shops - Dewing's - they have been a huge help. If there is a one piece of advice I can offer, it is find someone who knows fit and can help you. This is NOT something you can do yourself, IMHO.

After examining tons of twin pipe guns in the last few years I have come to believe there is no stronger lock-up or reciever than the Browning. Perhaps I have drunk some of BigJim's kool-aid, but I did my own research and formed my own opinion. Good luck and have fun shopping. tell us what you get.

Page generated in 0.02079 seconds with 8 queries