View Single Post
Old June 19, 2001, 06:21 PM   #1
VaughnT

My scenario....Your thoughts.

Since 1911forum is down, I thought I'd post the same scenario here and see what the general thought was. Should be interesting.

You work for an armored car company and are making a pickup at one of your stops.

The "cashroom" measures approximately 12'x17'. The safe is placed against the short wall not 4' from the door leading out into the store. With said door open, you are in full view of the shopping public.

Your habit is to stand between the door and the safe but you've tired of being hit by the door as one manager or the other comes in to the room. You decide to move up the room, about 10' from the door while the manager prepares the deposit at the safe.

While you are signing the receipts, you hear a jingle and see the door is opening. Strictly as a precaution, you draw your weapon and hold it at your side.

Another manager appears through the door and you holster your weapon. Scenario over.

Question: did you just commit a felony by "Brandishing" or "Pointing" your weapon?

Keep in mind that whoever was entering did not knock or identify themselves before opening the door. Be that as it may, can you reasonably claim fear of imminent threat of life when you didn't see a bad guy or a weapon or hear anything untoward?

Would you consider drawing your weapon, keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, a sound tactical decision considering that the posssible BG was well inside of 21' circle everyone talks about?

Page generated in 0.03803 seconds with 8 queries