Thread: travling guns
View Single Post
Old April 5, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4
bikerbill

We're getting ready to transit Mordor (better known, I guess, as Illinois) on our way to Wisconsin, so I checked on the federal statutes contained in the McClure-Volkmer Act of 1986 ... as I read them, if you are passing through and don't plan any stops other than for gas, food or an emergency, you can travel through such backwaters if the gun you're carrying is legal for you to own in your home state and in the state you are heading for. Having a CHL makes it a lot easier to confirm that info. In the case of IL, tho I may not have to go to these lengths, I'm planning on taking a locking case and unloading, breaking down and locking up my EDC in the case and in the trunk. Ammo stored separately, also in a locking case. I think I may be going overboard on all that, but the idea of being busted there for something I can do every day in the Republic of Texas is really annoying ... All the other states we will be driving through honor my CHL, so no problems there ... Incidently, just got a great reference book, the 2012 edition of the Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States. got mine through Amazon ...

Page generated in 0.02418 seconds with 8 queries