View Single Post
Old February 2, 2009, 03:26 PM   #13
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
While I can envision only two places that I would find myself in such a situation, in my home and out in the world somewhere, both places would have very different responses.

If someone takes the liberty of invading my home, I will do my best to have them sitting on their hands until authorities come to take them away.

Why the difference? Because in the first location/my home, they have breached my security including dogs, targeted me or my home, and by the time they would have gotten to me (short of breaking out a window - closest ones being behind me) do not have a quick exit. Even if they were not armed to begin with, they would have access to kitchen knives, tools in garage, etc... with which to arm themselves if I let them go. And I don't want them coming back.

Anyone this determined to continue forward into my home, after dealing with security/deterrents, including verbal challenges, is obviously a threat to me and needs to be taken away by LE.

On the street someone asking for change and then attempting to rob me, I believe has a different motivation. Also, has an easy quick exit.

While both can end in bodily harm or death to me, very different motivations. My response would likely be the same initially for either location, it would be if I had any control after the initial conflict where location becomes a factor.

I would say that if the motivation appears to me to be personal, then they may just need to go away with LE. Why, because I don't want a highly motivated criminal who has targeted me coming back in three days or a week. And this person has already shown disregard for common sense and human life by continuing forward into my home despite obvious layers of barriers to dissuade entry.

I would agree that the street thug, can be just as dangerous to the general population and needs a ride with LE also.

I would attempt to make a "citizens arrest" in either location; but not at the risk of myself or other innocents. Police can chase down the BG.

Now, go figure...

Page generated in 0.02260 seconds with 8 queries