View Single Post
Old August 16, 2013, 02:38 PM   #20
iraiam

Quote:
You are saying a safe, rated at 1400° for 30 minutes by an independent testing lab like ETL means nothing?
It is at least a little protection, but I think it's rated for the AVERAGE house fire in the USA, where they burn at several hundred degrees for 20 minutes, I am sure this number is due to large metro areas with numerous and fast responding fire stations.

Fire certifications on gun safes are inferior for many major house fires IMO, a major house fire can easily get up to copper pipe and wire melting temperatures, way above even some very expensive safes with 90 minute @ 1400 degree certification.

If you have ever seen a serious fire resistant safe you'll know what I'm talking about, I have one "small" safe with a much higher rating than most gun safes. The walls and door are about 6.5" thick with a multiple "stair step" on the door seal. this small safe is very heavy for it's size due to the amount of dense fire resistance in the walls of the thing, I was told by a safe guy that did some work on the lock for me that it's lined with 2000 degree soft fire clay.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; August 16, 2013 at 02:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.03534 seconds with 8 queries