View Single Post
Old August 5, 2012, 04:10 PM   #45
wally626

In this situation the federal laws on lending are not an issue. The transferr took place in the same state between two adults. The son owned the guns as an adult, so issues of child transferr also do not apply. Within the state of VA I can certainly lend a person a gun without the assumption that they now own it. Things are a little trickier across state lines as the transferr would have to go through a FFL, but I would still think that a trasferr of possesion can take place without a transferr of ownership. When I sent my Glock in for repair, possesion was transferred to Glock but ownership certainly was not. I can see loaning my brother-in law a gun, he lives in another state, although in that case transferrs both ways would have to go through a FFL.

The OP cannot send the guns back to his son as his son can not own them. I think the question of whether or not a felon can direct were the weapons are sent would require the input of a lawyer.

One question is what happens in a normal case? A person is convicted of a felony and owns guns. Do the police just seize them and keep them, is a relative allow to take possesion, etc.?

Page generated in 0.03334 seconds with 8 queries