View Single Post
Old July 24, 2012, 08:59 PM   #6
darkhelmet

caution

ask your optometrist about shooting specifically. make sure they really understand shooting.

i had lasik to correct nearsightedness. it was several months before i was shooting again at my previous level. for months i could not see the front sight well. my eyesight has stabilized now and i see the front sight well enough.

i can read the eye chart at 20/20 and half of it at 20/15. don't be misled by numbers like that. they are not a complete description of your vision at all.

even though i'm 20/20 i'm getting more farsighted. i can see the target, the front sight, the rear sight a bit. but i can't see the gun sharply when it's down in front of me. i can't see the controls or markings well. i certainly can no longer read fine print.

so now i no longer wear prescription glasses. but i always have two or three pairs of magnifiers/readers with me. driving is fine, but i can't see the radio controls well. and this is "perfect" or better than perfect vision.

- - - - -
consider honestly what kind of shooter you are and what kind of results you want. shooting to qualify is a low-bar, no offense. it's not a that demanding. if you're average and you want to stay average you're probably fine. but's it possible to have a "successful correction" and not be able to perform at the level you're used to.

your age is factor, as was noted above. you're need for middle-aged reading glasses will come even with the surgery. if you're under 40, you might have many years of genuinely perfect vision before you feel it slipping.

Last edited by darkhelmet; July 24, 2012 at 09:06 PM.

Page generated in 0.03461 seconds with 8 queries