View Single Post
Old October 29, 2001, 10:07 AM   #4
Joe Demko

In such a short blade, the extra weight from using quarter inch stock will avail you little in terms of chopping power. IMO, you end up with blades too "wedgey" to slash and slice really well when you use such thick stock in short blades; unless, of course. you are willing to pay for a deep hollow grind that will leave the spine that thick while thinning out the rest of the blade.
Since you are planning on dedicating it as a defensive tool, I'd go with one of the premium grades of stain-resistant steel like ATS-34 over a plain carbon steel. Since you aren't going to be doing routine tasks with it, edge retention isn't an issue. Resisting corrosion from sweat is. On a carbon steel knife, the edge itself will corrode away from the moisture it picks up from being carried close to your body even if the rest of the blade is coated with epoxy paint or similar.
Also, IMO, a fearsome appearance will gain you nothing. The first awareness your opponent should have of your blade is when you cut him with it. Brandishing it is asking for problems on all sorts of levels.
If I were designing such a knife for myself, I'd end up with a clip point blade (sharpened clip if legal in your area) that has the point centered rather than upswept. I'd use 3/8" stock from one of the higher grade stain-resistant steels and a single-side brass guard. If you picture something like a smaller version of a Randall #1 w/ full tang and single-side guard, that would be it exactly. I'd also spend a lot of time and effort on a sheath that would make carrying it easy.

Page generated in 0.03793 seconds with 8 queries