View Single Post
Old April 22, 2013, 06:32 PM   #30
Theohazard

Quote:
8MM Mauser posted
Now, the SD9, if I understand it correctly this is basically a copy of the Glock, especially once the trigger is improved. It seems like the best deal on the face of it; but what am I missing with an SD9 nine that I get with a Glock? And that brings me to another question? If the SD is a Glock copy and the M&P is supposed to be a step up from the SD is it also a step up from the Glock? Would it be worth waiting even longer for an M&P?
The SD is a copy of the Glock and the M&P is an improvement on the SD, but keep in mind they both still need to get around the Glock patents.

I recently took an M&P armorers course offered by Smith & Wesson. What struck me about the M&P design was it seems like they were trying to copy the Glock and at the same time trying to improve on it, but they had to get around the Glock patents. So, in my opinion, the improvements aren't really significant, and at the same time a lot of the internals appear as though they were made unnecessarily more complicated soley to avoid another patent-infringement lawsuit from Glock. (The Glock trigger is also vastly superior to the M&P, which has a terrible reset; the reset is still not as good as the Glock's even with an Apex trigger kit installed.)

As soon as I got back home from the M&P armorers course, I stripped my Glock 19 down all the way for comparison. The simplicity and efficiency of the Glock design is definitely noticeable when compared to the M&P.

Page generated in 0.02641 seconds with 8 queries