View Single Post
Old September 27, 2012, 10:10 PM   #1
StainlessSteel215

When to be a CWP "hero" and when to check your ego

I'll admit when I first got my carry permit here in PA....I was much younger (23 and I'm 30 now) and a little itchy to carry it certain places because I simulated how cool the "hero" scenario would be. Thwarting a robbery in a convenience store or slowing a Columbine style massacre in a shootout.

But as others have posted on here...the laws are not very forgiving no matter if it was deemed self defense or not.....and you would have to live the rest of your life (possibly in prison) wondering if it was worth taking a life, possibly wounding a bystander, over $500 in a cash register that insurance would have repaid.

Thats the thought process of a more seasoned responsible gun owner. Ive learned that you might very well have to drop your ego in a certain situation, despite having a loaded pistol in your possession. Sometimes its just smart to let it happen as long as nobody's life is in immediate danger. Nowadays, I am more focused on simply protecting my own neck....and obviously my family and friends.

In my opinion thats the only catch-22 to states having loose concealed carry laws.....any nutjob looking to start trouble can escalate a simple situation such as road rage, etc. At that point, the "responsible" gun owner has just become the criminal.

I frequently simulate certain situations in my mind where I would try to de-escalate a situation first and do everything in my power to avoid drawing my pistol....and contemplating how far I would allow a simple fist fight situation where I wouldnt be tempted to pull it out. Carrying guns is certainly a lifestyle commitment and I think its wise to have these questions circling in our minds, so that we arent completely caught off guard in a situation and make a bad mistake.

Page generated in 0.02546 seconds with 8 queries