View Single Post
Old November 20, 2013, 08:01 PM   #2
wpsdlrg

Not to contradict you, but I found another route to solve the feed problem with my Kahr (CM9). In NO way am I criticizing your work or the solution you've found, so please don't think so. I simply want to pass on what I found, for what it's worth.

I too had the "nose dive" problem, but only with the first round from a FULL magazine. Every once in a while, the second round would misfeed, but almost always it was only the FIRST round.

After studying the issue, I realized that loading the last round into the magazine was VERY difficult. (I mean the last round for a full magazine, thus the first round to be chambered.) I came to the conclusion that the mag spring might be too long - and the coils were closing completely, thus making it very difficult to get the last round in. Also, because the top round was under such high pressure (jamming it against the feed lips), it would tend to stick and nose dive, rather than stripping smoothly out of the mag.

So, having several magazines on hand, I decided to act on my conclusion. I started with one of the standard 6-rounders. I cut ONE coil off the bottom of the mag spring. When tested, feeding was improved, but the problem was not gone completely. So, I removed another coil from the mag spring. Voila - problem solved. The mags have never mis-fed since.

I also experimented with the 7-rounders. I found that removing 3 or 4 coils from the mag springs was needed, in order to ensure reliable feeding from a full mag.

That was early in my ownership of the CM9, but just after I reached the recommended 200 round break-in point. As of now, I have about 1200 rounds through my CM9, with NO feeding malfunctions whatsoever (after the mag fix). I tend to slingshot my slide, instead of using the slide release (as Kahr recommends). I have tried a variety of bullet types, HP, truncated cone, RN, etc, both cast and jacketed. Still no problems.

Anyway, not saying that your solution is in any way inferior to mine. Just another tack, that's all.

Oh, by the way, the problem with Kahr pistols breaking mag followers is easily solved. The reason this happens is that, in SOME examples, the mag follower makes direct contact with the bottom edge of the barrel feed ramp, when the slide is fully in battery. This can be solved by removing a small amount of material from either the front edge of the mag follower, or from the feed ramp. This problem does not occur with every example of the Kahr pistols, apparently only a minority of them. Nevertheless, as I said, it is easily solved.

As for your dismay regarding the fact that Kahr has apparently not caught on to (or accepted) the mag problem and the relatively simple solutions - I couldn't agree more. In fact, I posted my explanation and solution on the "Kahr Talk" forum some time ago....and you'd have thought that I insulted the mothers of (at least) some of them. They acted as if I was committing heresy, or treason, perhaps. Needless to say, I don't go back to that forum anymore.

Page generated in 0.03672 seconds with 8 queries