Thread: Bulged Cases
View Single Post
Old March 17, 2012, 04:27 PM   #11
dacaur

Quote:
Here's Lee's disclamer about their 'Bulge Buster' dies on their their website;

Quote:
Glock Cases: We do not recommend "fixing" cases fired in pistols with unsupported chambers, because there is no way to make them safe once they have bulged. The case wall is thinned where it bulges, and resizing the outside of the case back down to the correct diameter does not restore the case back to its original thickness. If this case is fired in a pistol with an unsupported chamber again, and this thinned section of brass happens to line up with the unsupported part of the chamber, there is a high probability that the case will rupture.
Yep, thats called CYA. They know its safe or they wouldn't have made the product. On the other hand, I dont recall hearing about anyone having an actual problem...

Quote:
I just stated an opinion. As an opinion, there is no evidence, on my part. Just opinion.
Everyone is free to have their own opinions, even if they are backed up by nothing. However, when you post those opinions on a public message board, be prepared for people with actual evidence* to come in with dissenting opinions, and be prepared to change yours. Dont feel bad about it, its better to speak your mind and have it changed, than to keep quiet and keep thinking wrongly....

*evidence= the thousands of thousands of cases that have been repeatedly fired in glocks without bursting.... As always though, use common sense and inspect your cases. Its obvious that repeatedly ironing out the bulge, just like any other resizing will work harden the brass after some time. These cases should be checked for impending case head separation just like any rifle cartridge thats re-sized.... Also one should use common sense in not trying to iron out rediculous buldges and all will be well. It seems using the same inspection process I use for dents would be a good idea, if there is ANY crease or sharp ridge, toss it, if its a smooth dent (bulge) you are ok.

Lastly, if you dont feel comfortable reloading slightly bulged cases, dont do it, no one is going to force you! OTOH, many people do it without issue, and should not be looked down upon, they are not "asking for trouble" as long as they are using common sense.

Page generated in 0.03846 seconds with 8 queries