View Single Post
Old August 17, 2013, 05:56 AM   #11
Mike / Tx

I understand your frustration. I have some very nice brass molds that do the same thing when pouring solids, but will just spit HP's out like they taste bad.

The key is a regulated cooling method. Not so much a lot but just a little bit between pours. Some use a slightly damp towel and after they drop the bullets out and close the mold they set it on the rag for a 2-3 count before the next pour. Or in my case, I use a small fan that I hold the open mold in front of for a 3-4 count. This seems to help out a good deal, but I still get one every now and again that is stubborn and just wants to stay put. Sometimes I let it and just pour the empty cavities. Usually it will drop that next dump, sometimes it needs a little persuasion.

The polishing thing with something like Comet, Bonami, or Flitz isn't going to hurt, just be careful to go slow. With the couple I have polished out, I more or less followed the Lee menting procedure, but I used a small t-handle, made for small taps, that I attached to the cut off screw to turn the bullets. That way I cold easily rotate them back and forth nice and slow. I didn't want to inadvertently hit the trigger on my cordless drill and really screw something up. It is pretty amazing how just a little bit of touch up will really improve some molds.

One last thing, IF you use the above process and find that it really didn't help much, give this a try before you give up. Get your mold up to temp, and pour one cavity at a time water dropping the bullet in ice water. If you think you can keep them separated you can pour both at once, maybe use two containers. That will give you a much harder bullet which will put the polishing compounds work more on the mold than on the lead. It might even save you a little time as well starting off with a bit harder bullet. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Mike / Tx; August 17, 2013 at 06:01 AM.

Page generated in 0.03471 seconds with 8 queries