Thread: Stupid question
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2000, 11:40 AM   #2
bergie

Not a stupid queston at all. I guess I learned "hands on" (the only way to really get the hang of it, there is nothing like being up to your elbows in blood and guts then seeing another guy do it in 1/10 the time and being able to clean his hands with one wet-wipe and a paper towel) so I really don't know the names of any books, however, I have seen some advertised and looked at a few in book stores. One of the best short lessons on big game field dressing that I ever saw published was in a Federal Ammo giveaway brochure several years ago, I think it was written by Jim Zumbo. Check the NRA website, I know they have publications that cover it, also check with your state wildlife dept. whatever they call it. The Nebraska Game and Parks commission has a very good website and this link www.ngpc.state.ne.us/hunting/game.html should get you to a page that has illustrated instructions on field dressing big game, even a cutting diagram if you want to do all the butchering yourself rather than taking it to someone. They also have a cookbook available with lots of great recipes for all kinds of fish and game and other wild edibles (free if you subscribe to Nebraskaland magazine, an award winning publication). Wow, this just got me thinking about going out and picking some fresh wild morels, and asparagus and thawing out one of my last venison roasts, I might even go hunt down some of that elusive (around here) Shiner Bock that so many people on the board rave about to wash it down with.
bergie

Page generated in 0.02233 seconds with 8 queries