View Single Post
Old July 8, 2000, 07:34 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks,folks, hope it'll help clear the confusion.

Mr Pub, let me think on it. Trouble is, being the geezer I am, the curve is somewhat ahead of me when it comes to recent improvements in ammo, especially those relating to game or games I don't go much for. IE, turkey loads...

RE 28 ga, I've run across local legends who shoot one better than I do anything, but I've noticed that when the pheasants are flushing wild, or late season doves are spooky, the 28s get replaced with 12s. For a specialty shotgun, no problem, but for those of us who like to stick with one gun or one model(Like me and my 4 870s),the 28 has limited appeal. I DO see a crying need for an entry level 28 of good balance,even with a very short stock, for kids and older beginners.

Maybe the 28 is the equivalent of an ultra light fishing rod, or that 3 weight fly rod I've got in the closet. The question is, can it, in YOUR hands, take game cleanly and humanely? If a trout busts 4 lb test line, it lives, but a bird hit with insufficient shot adn energy lives not long, but in pain.

A friend of mine has a 28 H&H that cost more than my truck did,new. HE shoots it very well, but I noted several good 12s in his battery, including one of those Darne slide doubles. Friend states the 12 and 28 cover the whole gamut of shotgunning, and he has a good case.

OTOH, the Brits and Europeans make light double 12s that they load like a 16 ga here, an oz or so of shot in a gun weighing in around 6 1/2 lbs or less. They even make a 2 inch 12 ga shell and scale a little superbly made double around it.

Had one, a French made(1919) boxlock that weighed in at 6 lbs, 5 oz and made me look a lot better on woodcock than I am. Since I really do not like the taste of said bird, the gun was sold just before Daughter started college. There's a connection there...

IMO, folks would probably shoot their 12s better if they dropped the shot weight a bit. Most 1 1/8 oz loads pattern less evenly than a 1 oz, and the 1 1/4 oz load can go even further. My favorite upland load, good in darn near all the shotguns I've tried it in, is the Winchester AA TRAP load, 1 1/8 oz of #7 1/2 shot. This is even good for pheasant on the rise, tho a load of #6s is better for the tight bbl or the next up in the tube.

Page generated in 0.02341 seconds with 8 queries