View Single Post
Old May 1, 2000, 04:54 PM   #8
Josh

Mal H.

the technique that a Sierra Tech gave me was to take a .308 case, FL re size it, trim it, make a verticle cut in the neck with a fine blade hacksaw. At this point start the bullet of choice in the case. Next open your bolt and place it in the chamber. Close the bolt gently and then open it making sure it extracts into you hand. Use calpier to measure it. Do this 5 times and take the avg of the 5 cases. Now back off .010 and start loading of course starting at the suggested starting point and go from there. I have done this before on my other rifles and it works very well. The problem that the I had this time was that there did not appear to be much bullet in the case.
Anyhow I loaded up 15 starting as they suggested .010 from the lands seating the head back in .005 increaments.
I found after I reached .020 from the start that my groups were cut in half. Yes half.
I could not buy a group under one inch no matter what I did changing powder/primers etc.
I shot a group-5 shots- at 100 yards into 1/2"

I was doubtful thinking this was a fluke so I loaded up more last night and came home today and did it again.
I am going to have to decide if I want a riflesmith to bring the barrel back to wher I can get this accuracy and still load out of a detachable magazine.

Page generated in 0.02631 seconds with 8 queries