View Single Post
Old July 4, 2009, 12:06 PM   #185
OuTcAsT

Quote:
How should a plain-clothes officer or civilian handle things to avoid being identified as a criminal and shot by officers arriving on the scene?
This is possibly one of the biggest liabilities anyone would face in a situation like this, and this is a point that cannot be stressed enough.

Let's assume, for a moment, that one is of a mindset to chase down a BG to hold him for LE to arrive;

How is an officer gonna know who the BG is ?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and conjecture that both of you are the BG to the officer, until (hopefully) things get sorted out.

And if a firearm(s) are involved, things may go south quickly.

Another question to ponder, Let's assume that I am a BG, and walking through a neighborhood. I see a door that looks safe to kick, and I do it, but uh-oh ! somebody is home, I don't want to confront a possibly armed homeowner so, I'm haulin a$$ . But this guy is chasing me.
If I get away, it's all good, but the guy wants to stop me ! when the cops arrive, how is this homeowner going to prove that he is not an aggressor that simply attacked me for no good reason ? Maybe more than one person in the house saw me clearly, maybe not. could be my word against his. Lot's of dynamics involved here.

Quote:
"If someone breaks down my front door, am I going to chase them or wrestle with them to stop them from getting away"?? Easy answer for me, YES... I am a person of strong principle and beliefs. That is just the way of my makeup. Most of my life it has provided me with the right direction. Now I am not dense enough to realize that it may always be perfect but for me it works.

Now if the bad guy is foolish enough to pull a weapon on me for trying to stop him (which I sure hope he does not) then I will have to defend myself to the degree that ends the threat. He is NOT going to get away with home invasion and/or scarying my family half to death..... End of story.
I understand your motivation friend, but what concerns me is your certainty that you can, and will prevail. Not only in HTH combat, but also if a weapon is involved. Also, you don't seem to take into account the possibility of more than one guy. I do not know you, nor your physical abilities, you may be Jet Li, and Jeff Cooper rolled into one package. But answer this; when you bolt out that door after the BG, how will you assess whether you can "take him" ? And if there are two ? are you still confident that you will prevail ? If you do prevail, certainly you will sleep well knowing you did the right thing, but, if you lose, and are maimed, or killed, will your principles feed, clothe, and protect your family from the next BG ? Or do your principles and beliefs just make you unable to fathom that there might be that chance ?

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -

Last edited by OuTcAsT; July 4, 2009 at 12:26 PM.

Page generated in 0.02609 seconds with 8 queries