View Single Post
Old August 22, 2008, 07:18 AM   #10
Fingers McGee

Quote:
This may be a dumb question but if you use a standard powder measure, how do you measure the charge? If I understand it right, a blackpowder powder measure throws a measured charge (by volume) but a smokeless powder measure has to be verified with a scale (by weight). Or do you just weigh a charge measured by volume and then adjust your powder measure to throw that weight?
Both BP measures and smokeless measure throw charges by volume; you just have to perform an extra step with smokeless to convert the volume to weight using a scale. Using an adjustable hand held BP measure that is marked in grains will help you adjust a hopper style measure for BP charges. You can get a set of Lee dippers, or do like Hawg said; just adjust the measure so it will fill the case so you get 1/16 to 1/8 inch compression when you seat the bullet. I adjust the powder measure on my Hornady L-N-L so that a charge will just about fill the case and give me about 1/8 inch compression when seating the bullet when using BP, and so the bullet just sits on top of the powder when using subs.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Page generated in 0.02710 seconds with 8 queries