View Single Post
Old September 8, 1999, 06:01 PM   #9
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

wow I'm shocked. Novice hunter? Who on earth would recopmmend a belted magnum to this guy?

BUY a 30-06. You can kill ANYTHING in the lower 48 with a 30-06. I'd recommend a federal premuim 165 grain spitzer boat tail bullet.. better ballistics and MORE downrange power than a 180 grain bullet. Killing elk is about SHOT Placement.. not some damn fool "texas heart shot" with an elephant gun.

(aplogies to texans and elephant hunters)

Also.. depending on your terrain.. MOSTshots will be within 100 yards or less.. will you be in heavy cover? black timber? open meadows?

Use a gun that will cover ALL possibilities.

1 a 30-06 bolt rifle (stainless if you are hunting 3rd season)

2. a 40mm 3x9 scope leave it on 3 power if its that far away you will have time to dial up the power. (you may want rifle sites IF you break your scope)

3. Practice practice practice. With a scope AND your iron sites.

I'd recommend a SAVAGE 110 package rifle in 30-06 (i hunt with a stainless model 116 fsak) They are really accurate and moderately priced. Shop at walmart.

OR

A remmington model 700 Carbine in 30-06 It has nice sites but does not come with a scope.

The bolt on the remmington is crisper and its lighter wieght. The savage will drive tacks out of the box if you practice.

But really any bolt action 30-06 of american manufacture will do.

lol OK I'm off my soapbox...

Dr.Rob

Page generated in 0.02588 seconds with 8 queries