View Single Post
Old October 31, 2000, 07:06 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Bet it had a straight grip,Gremlin. The Upland Special was an attempt to make a LW grouse and quail shotgun out of what's not a LW design.BTW,the bbls are not interchangeable with standard ones,I think.

My 12 ga bird 870 was built using a 21" bbl I had shortened and redone for tubes. Wood from the inside of the stock was removed to keep a good balance point. It handles like a quail/grouse gun should, but it's my "Anything Flying" shotgun, and has collected geese to dove to woodcock to ground game,and busted some clays with it also. Mostly I snap shoot, any sport that needs a sustained lead like pass shooting, a longer bbl and sight radius would work better.

Loose rule of thumb.A good quail/grouse/woodcock shotgun will balance roughly 3" in front of the trigger. A good long range pass shooting gun will balance further forward,maybe 4", but exceptions abound.
Pop was sudden death on anything flying with his old Savage O/U, 30" bbls and weighing well in excess of 8 lbs,especially quail. It's what you're used to....

Onr thing with short,light shotguns. They're easy to start swinging, so ergo they're easy to stop. One has to work at keeping the thing swinging. Once past that, I think you'll like that 1100.

Page generated in 0.02827 seconds with 8 queries