View Single Post
Old July 9, 2009, 03:25 PM   #45
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thus, buy a gun and practice waving it at the single mugger. That's all you need according the misapplied view of risk and statistics.
That's the general response to my argument, the standard sort of "make the argument seem silly". Looking down on it from my perch in academia, with a sneer and sniff, or, by those who simply choose to ignore all the facts of every kind, they call it silly, wrong, unprepared, signing my own death warrant, ready to die, but never refute it.

Except, that's not my argument. That's the big problem there. Not a single person has yet addressed my argument.

and then there's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
Insisting others are somehow incorrect for doing it is just getting plan old silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
Old argument - Ben's right!
So, it doesn't go both ways, I suppose, which has been the general flow of these discussions. I am wrong for saying that there is such a thing as over prepared, and the line is lower than some people think but those same people are not wrong for saying that I am under prepared, "prepared to die", etc....

Not that any of this has to do with my original point about the OP, which was that having a gun, of any capacity, would not have automatically made this a better situation. Believing that having a gun will make things better for you is a very dangerous assumption. Maybe more dangerous than believing that NOT having a gun will make things better.

That's my big beef here. If he had a gun it would have been better for him. That is an unbelievably enormous and dangerous assumption.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; July 9, 2009 at 03:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.03847 seconds with 8 queries