View Single Post
Old April 8, 2009, 03:59 PM   #52
OldMarksman
Staff

For what it's worth, in Post 20 I mentioned a Best Defense episode in which a woman raced an intruder to the bedroom, "won the race", and locked the door and got her gun.

I just saw a new episode in which they showed a replay of that "race," they opined that the thing to do in the case of an intrusion is to get to a saferoom. They then said that the safest way to get to the saferoom may be to be armed.

If someone had asked me a year ago what I thought of the idea of carrying a gun in my own house, I would have been highly dubious. But now that I've thought about it, I don't know any other way of avoiding getting cut off from the weapon should someone enter from certain points than having several guns in different locations, and even that entails some tactical risk.

At night? I heed the advice that it is best to have to be really awake before grabbing a gun. That rules out the nightstand, where I kept it for years, for me.

Like Hogdogs, I remember being around loaded guns a a child and when my cousins were very young when staying with an aunt or with grandparents. We knew not to touch them. I would not assume that risk today until the kids were older. I do believe the combo safes are a really good idea for times when the gun is not in the pocket.

My opinions, for your consideration.

Page generated in 0.03654 seconds with 8 queries