View Single Post
Old March 31, 2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Just Dos Centavos from an old dinosaur who knows hitting a critter in the woods, mountains, corn field, or mountains isn't the same as hitting that target on the range. As mentioned in previous posts penetration is better than expansion and why I won't use HP hunting bullets. Pistol or revolver my hunting and SD bullets are LSWC Kieth style bullets. I think you are lucky that your 45 bullets didn't expand and they were able to go in and do some damage.

Also personal opinion I understand from the nostalgic point why you carried the 45 with the M1 and I would have been tempted, (in fact I did that very thing in the mountains of New Mexico in the 70's but I was after deer not Elk), but a larger more powerful round like something in the 41/44 mag class would have been minimum for me if you can shoot them or 357 if they are a bit much. A good hit with a 180 SJFP 357 magnum bullet beats the heck out of a hit with the 45 or a miss with the 44 mag.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Page generated in 0.02592 seconds with 8 queries