View Single Post
Old April 1, 2007, 12:47 AM   #8
samsmix

Here in good 'ol Montucky my wife and I kill enough to keep the 3 of us from ever eating beef outside of a restaurant. We can eat up to 10 deer per year, and anything less than 7 will run us out of meat in about August. We have tags enough here to do it all on the up and up, but only take pictures of the trophies & firsts.

My father was a subsistance hunter. He grew up in a tarpaper shotgun shack durring the "Dirty Thirties", poaching only as needs dictated. Remember they had no freezers then. In those days a poor family could feed the local game warden a meal of fresh venison in April, but if a rich man poached a deer he would get the book thrown at him.

In fact, he once killed a WT doe as meat for his snowed-in CC camp with a slug he made out of a battery post and loaded into a birdshot shell. According to him he held the bead of his "Long Tom" shotgun dead center at a distance of just 20 feet. The hommade slug flew so poorly that it hit just below the ear! All was well that ended well, and for 2 days they had meat with their rice and beans. They were able to break a trail a few days later.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?

Page generated in 0.02450 seconds with 8 queries