View Single Post
Old October 1, 2009, 11:00 AM   #1
DG45

Aren't 50 year old shotguns eligible for C&R?

I never see shotguns on anybody's top ten C&R list and I wonder why not? Aren't they C&R eligible? And, isn't a 12 guage in the closet the ultimate HD weapon that a handgun is meant to keep you alive long enough to get to? And what could be a more versatile gun for hunting than a 12 Ga. shotgun?

I mention this because I recently purchased a well made John Browning-designed Remington Model 11 shotgun manufactured in 1938. I bought it at a gun show and paid the full asking price of $200. For that I got a 12 Ga. semi-automatic gun in VG condition, with a 26" IC barrel and a five shot capacity. It has a beautiful checkered stock and hunting scene rollmarks imprinted on both sides of the receiver. Over 850,000 Model 11's were made between 1911 and 1948. (50,000 or so of those were ordered by the US military in WWII.) Another 200,000 or so very similar but only three-shot capacity shotguns called the Remington "Sportsman" model were also made before 1948.

What's crazy is that I now realize I didn't get a particularly good deal on my Model 11. Since I bought it, I've seen one just like it selling for $150 and a Sportsman for $125. Still, I consider my $200 purchase a steal because (a) I purchased a very useful, shootable gun, and (b) I feel sure it's depreciated out, and will soon begin to appreciate in value again to at least double what I paid for it. IMHO there just aren't any better buys than this to be had in the gun world today. You might want to consider putting one of these on your short list of "must haves".

Page generated in 0.02591 seconds with 8 queries