View Single Post
Old January 1, 2009, 01:57 PM   #23
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only S&W and Me
Good points but please point out a simple scenario where, "I should draw and possibly shoot". These listed are the most typical crime acts and your advice is in most cases is to keep the gun the holster..... what scene would merit drawing to stop the threat (outside of the home or rape)?
One does not draw on a mere threat or the fear of a threat. You draw in response to a situation in which you believe you are going to sustain great bodily injury or death.

The AOJ above is typical of what's taught. For instance, you exit your house towards your car and your neighbor across the street starts cussing you out about your dog crapping on his lawn. He's holding an aluminum baseball bat, standing at the curb and finishes with "I oughta come over there and beat your [bleep]ing head in!"

He obviously has the means (bat) and a motive (property damage) but he lacks the opportunity because he is well out of range to use his bat. Even if he starts to cross the street in a "rude, angry or threatening manner", most police & DA's will ask why you did not get inside your car or retreat inside your house. (i.e. what did you do to prevent having to use deadly force.)

When circumstances allow it, you should always try something to de-escalate the situation. It may be words, backing away, gesturing agreement or even leaving the area.

However, you should know that an opponent with a knife, club or even bare hands can charge you from approximately 7 yards and inflict serious injury before you can draw your weapon (often called the Tueller drill). While this does not give license to shoot within 7 yards, it does assist in putting together a plausible defense in cases where witnesses might say your assailant was "too far away".

Page generated in 0.03828 seconds with 8 queries