Thread: Star PD .45 ACP
View Single Post
Old March 16, 2007, 07:01 AM   #14
BlueTrain

The Star PD is on my long list of guns to buy (I don't have a short list) and I do see them from time to time. In a way, they do exhibit some of the bad features of Spanish made firearms but all the good ones as well. True, they probably won't hold up if you insist on shooting up a box of ammunition every weekend but if it is still in good shape, it should be OK.

I once bought a brand new BKM, supposedly one of the last sold by Interarms, and proceeded to shoot a box of ammo every weekend. It was a delightful gun but wouldn't feed hollowpoints. Curiously enough, it would feed any kind of lead bullet I ever handloaded, included 158-grain swaged semi-wadcutters. That is an offbeat load for a 9mm but it's in the loading manual. Well, eventually some of the parts like the ejector started to loosen a little, though nothing ever broke. I also had a Colt Lightweight Officer's model in .45 ACP (what else?). That made a marginally better carry pistol than the Star, especially if you liked .45 ACP better (toss up to me). But the Colt was a real handful to shoot and I certainly never ran 50 rounds through it every weekend. I also rarely seen any of those, either.

These days my favorite is a Star BM, which is very much a compromise. Compact but sort of heavy, flat, tolerably reliable--and will not be shot much. Although I have dabbled in other systems, I started out with single action autos and I feel most comfortable with them and it is probably better if all that I have have the same drill.

Which they don't.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.02008 seconds with 8 queries