View Single Post
Old January 23, 2007, 04:17 PM   #9
rg1

I've loaded the 124GS in Win brass but with CCI primers. The powder I used was Alliant Unique. The factory 124 Rem GS overall length is 1.120 to 1.123" in the box of factory rounds I measured.
4.8 grains of Unique is a good starting load showing about 980fps. 5.0 grains will get you to around 1050fps depending on your barrel length. These are mild loads and functioned fine in a Glock 19.
Again, overall length was at 1.120" with a light taper crimp, just enough to turn the mouth of the brass in to just touch the bullet. At 1.120" the driving band on the Golden Saber will be just inside the mouth of the brass. Taper crimp will turn the mouth of the brass in to JUST touch the smaller diameter of the GS.
With Unique powder it will more than half fill the case. If you should accidently double charge a case powder would overflow the case. My personal safety rule loading pistol rounds is to use a powder that will more than half fill a case. Good rule for beginners too. Unique as well as other powders are bulky and take up a lot of case volume. I haven't used many of the other recommended powders and just stick to the few I've used for years.

Last edited by rg1; January 24, 2007 at 03:46 AM.

Page generated in 0.03063 seconds with 8 queries