Thread: Bison
View Single Post
Old July 25, 2013, 02:51 PM   #3
alex0535

Given the bullet weight and velocity your talking about with the .358 Bellm, the closest thing I have to compare it to is the .35 Remington. I use this caliber on whitetail deer with a 200 grain bullet moving at very similar velocities and I would feel ethical about taking a large black bear with it. But lets face it, a bison is not a whitetail deer or a black bear. It is among the largest of the game available and weighs between 700 and 2200 pounds on average.

A perfect shot to the heart or brain taken at 50 yards, It would probably kill a bison, but if you miss the heart by an inch it is going to take more than one shot, the animal will probably run and experience a slow and painful death.

I would have no doubts that a 7mm magnum would do the job, it travels 1000fps faster and is a much better long range option than the .35 Remington. If you are in the plains, where you are generally going to find bison, I would take a long range gun over a short range brush gun any day of the week.

There are a good number of calibers that are very capable of taking any game on the continent, I think you need to go considerably more powerful than what your thinking.

Last edited by alex0535; July 25, 2013 at 02:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.03717 seconds with 8 queries