View Single Post
Old July 26, 2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Jerry11826

I think you have a problem!

Hi Venum1965,

I think you have a problem. I also think your post was stolen by some of our senior members. I hope you find this post helpful!

It can be difficult and expensive to get "old action" Colt DA revolvers repaired. I own three "old action" Colt Officers model DA revolvers. A 22, a 38 Spec. and a 32 S&W long. The 22 & 38 were made in the 1930's and the 32 in the early 1950's. They are very nice revolvers. Maybe 95% + on the NRA scale.

In January, 2009 I was shooting a DA string in my club's monthly PPC match. I was shooting the 32. The hammer held to the rear with the trigger fully depressed.

A few days later I called three gunsmiths in the Tampa, Florida area. Two told me they didn't work on "old action" Colt revolvers. The third asked me to bring him the revolver for examination, which I did. To his credit, he must have spent 5 - 10 minutes evaluating the revolver. He told me, “I think the problem is the hand”. “I don’t know where I would get a new hand and I don’t want to work on your revolver.” “You should contact Colt and see if they will repair the revolver, if not, you might try Cylinder and Slide in Nebraska and see if they will work on your revolver”.

I called Colt and was informed they did not work on Officers Model revolvers. I sent the revolver to Cylinder & Slide for repair.

The following is from the C&S invoice #592-29382.

Date 1/23/2009.

Colt Officers
Caliber 32
Type revolver
Serial number 642908

Remove Cylinder end shake $80.25

"Slow time, weld hand & recut primary & secondary lift, reset bolt timing" $262.50

Materials $10.00
Test fire $38.00
Shipping $62.87

Total $443.62

Now add in the approximately $75.00 it cost me for Fedex to over night the package to Fremont, Nebraska. The repair cost me $518.62.

I received the repaired revolver on approximately 02/15/2010. More than a year later.

Now in fairness to C&S they did call me in 12/09 and reported, “the revolver has been repaired, but they had noticed a slight amount of end shake, did I want the end shake to be repaired?” “ It would cost about $80.00". I told them “to go ahead”. I had so much money in the repair, what was an additional $80.00.

Since the revolver was returned, I have fired it about 50 times. It worked perfectly. I think the repair was properly made, but I am afraid something else will break. Squirted a little oil in to lock work, carefully coated the outside with “RIG” and put in safe. Will never shoot it or any of the old Colt’s again.

The good news is, while the Colt was being repaired, I started shooting my GP100 in the PPC match. My scores were better with the GP100.

Knowing what I know now, I am uncertain if I would have had the revolver repaird.

I hope you find this post informative.

I also hope Dfariswheel, Bob Wright or 4V50 Gary will explain to me what it means to “weld hand, recut primary and secondary lift and reset bolt timing".

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry11826; July 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM.

Page generated in 0.02724 seconds with 8 queries