View Single Post
Old September 8, 2000, 04:48 PM   #20
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I'm not an expert, but I THINK this is right:

You can make your own slugs, certainly. But in a rifle, like your AK, un-jacketed lead slugs will lead up the barrel pretty badly because velocity is so high. In slow-moving rounds like .45 acp this doesn't matter as much. It should be easy to find a mold for lead bullets, but adding jackets would be pretty difficult and probably not a good idea, plus it would have to be expensive, I'd think.

Cases have to be made pretty precisely, which is strike one. They have to be made of material you know and trust, which is strike two. And they have to be heat-treated, I believe, which is strike three. I wouldn't try to make my own.

The problem with mil-surp cases for 7.62x39 is that most are commie steel cases. You don't want to reload those. They work-harden differently than brass and can damage dies. If your cases stick to a magnet, dump 'em. That's another reason why 7.62x39 is not as cheap as "normal" ammo to reload--you have to spring for either new cases or better ammo in order to have brass, whereas I can reuse the brass from the cheapo remanufactured .45 I took to Missouri last month.

If I missed something or misstated something, somebody jump in here.

Page generated in 0.02102 seconds with 8 queries