View Single Post
Old May 4, 2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Iron vs Aluminum

The Classic Cast is iron. The Challenger is Aluminum.

Iron wears better than the softer (less abrasion resistant) aluminum. But if you keep either clean and lubed (emphasis on clean - no grit) they will both last a lifetime. It's just that the iron will withstand neglect a bit better.

The leverage of the Classic Cast is superior to the Challenger (go the the Lee Site and look at the pictures) Cast parts instead of stamped and the bolts are more robust, too, but they can (and do) get replaced on the Challenger. The Classic starts out with the better bolts, though.

The spent primers on the Challenger drop alongside the ram, into the base of the press and through a hole to a collection tube. Great system. The spent primers on the Classic drop inside the ram into the same collection tube. Think about where the detritus (grit, that I mentioned before) goes. It goes between the ram sides and the hole it slides through.

The Ram on the Classic is larger than on the Challenger, giving more bearing surface and further reducing the wear factor.

For $40, if you have the money, the Classic. (One or two boxes of ammo, or one case of premium beer for a difference you will appreciate for the rest of your life.)

Just my thoughts on the subject. No better than anyone else's.

Lost Sheep

Edit: what are you shooting and in what quantities? I would look at the Lee Classic Turret if it meets your needs. Same linkage as the Classic Cast and three times the speed if you are willing to load in continuous mode instead of batch, as on a single stage.

Page generated in 0.02314 seconds with 8 queries