Thread: #9 Shot
View Single Post
Old January 12, 2009, 12:07 AM   #14
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLawman
I understand the intent of the Box of Truth. It has accurate information. I want to protect what is mine. I don't care to execute a thief. Birdshot is OK for me.
As an old school architect with 20-years specializing in forensic investigations, IMHO, the Box of Truth is interesting; but, not an indicator of the number of walls a given load will penetrate. It should be used only for relative comparisons like wet newsprint or plastic water jugs.

I suspect gypsum wallboard was selected because it's easy to work with and inexpensive. From the pics, it appears the Box of Truth uses 5/8-inch thick fire-code gyp-board, where typical partitions use standard 1/2-inch. Not only is the Box of Truth gyp-board thicker, it's stronger (fire-code is reinforced). Also, the gyp-board in the Box of Truth is closely spaced allowing a domino effect from panel to panel. Other factors, including perimeter support, various wall finishes and cavity insulation contribute to differences between the Box of Truth and real world walls and partitions.

Page generated in 0.03499 seconds with 8 queries