View Single Post
Old February 9, 2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Daryl

Quote:
I can never understand how people can say its ok for deer and black bear. Deer are a prey animal with thin skin and flat rib bones. Stateside a huge whitetail deer will go 200 or so dressed.

Bears are big and tough. Heavier bones thick skin with lots of fat to seal any leaking wound. In many states one can expect a chance at a bear dressing 400 pounds or more.

No a deer caliber is not a bear caliber.

Yes, your 45 LC with heavy hard cast bullets will take a bear over hounds. If you shoot three bears with it over bait, you will lose 1. Won't be able to find it, lost, and wasted resource.
Bull hockey. a heavy .45 caliber bullet, when pushed to appropriate velocities, will pass through a bear like nothing, leaving a nearly half inch hole on it's way through. Black bears actually aren't that hard to kill, and I know of several that were killed with 30-30's, .45 Colts, or other moderate cartridges.

The .45 Colt, when loaded right, is plenty. Actually, it's my cartridge of choice when hunting bears in close woods.

We aren't talking cowboy game loads here, amigo. We're talkinig about a 300-350 grain bullet pushed to 1000-1600 or more fps. At reasonable ranges, it just doesn't stop for flesh and bones very well. That big, heavy bullet has a lot of momentum, and leaves a big hole.

Page generated in 0.03775 seconds with 8 queries