View Single Post
Old August 31, 2000, 12:49 AM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clark:
I can get cut down .223 brass to fit in my .380 despite the smaller extraction grouve. &lt;SNIP&gt;

I know there was some famous article about how to use .223 brass for 38 Super.
[/quote]

Sure was--I believe it was in Guns & Ammo magazine, in early to mid 1970s. It comes to mind that either Jeff Cooper did the article or had something to do with it. It entailed both an attempt to get better accuracy out of the "old" .38 Super, which did a sort of half a$$ job of headspacing on the semi-rim. The experimenter got a Bar-Sto barrel set up to headspace on case mouth. In order to get cases of truly uniform length and quality, they cut, trimmed and reamed .223 brass. Don't recall if GI brass or commercial. They installed a longer barrel--perhaps a standard five-inch 1911 style barrel in a Commander. .

After everything was up and running, with much improved accuracy, they found that the new cases were FAR stronger than factory Super. It was just natural that they tried invigorating the Super, which was, by this time, merely a slightly warm 9 mm. They called the "new" cartridge the Super Nine, I think, and touted it as a nifty trail gun idea, in the lightweight Commander

I have no recall of the velocities claimed nor the components used to get there. Sorry, Clark, I can't give you anything to exceed. A few years later, though, the IPSC crowd was souping up the Super and using heavier bullets, in an effort to "Make Major" power factor with the .36 bullets. In fact, they may have done all the destructomorph experimentation possible in this caliber.

That whole line of experimentation was just something which didn't interest me at the time, so I didn'lt pay a lot of attention. You see, .45 ACP already MAKES Major, thank you very much. [He said, smugly.] Yes, the .38 Super DID have 9-shot magazines, but again, the project didn't seem worth the effort, to me.

Anyhow, Clark, PLEASE be careful, amigo, in your various experiments.

Best,
Johnny

Page generated in 0.04106 seconds with 8 queries