Old August 21, 2005, 12:58 PM   #71
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I really have 3 points that I believe:
1. Many people are unduely afraid of predators
2. Predators and man can coexist
3. If predators are to survive, it will take some compromise on the part of man
For the most part, you're preaching to the choir, Cal. Most hunters and ranchers will agree with the first two. It's the 3rd that gives room for controversy.

Define some compromise

An operation like King Ranch in TX can absorb some loss, but the smaller family operations? Chickens and even sheep go really cheap at auction, but cattle? The loss of one cow and calf may not break a ranch, but it will definitely put a dent in the wallet. The loss of 5 or 6 over a year will mean a lean year for that family.

I REALLY like being able to go to Yellowstone or Isle Royale and listen to the wolves, and watch them interact, and I want that to continue. I want future generations to be able to experience it also. Wolves had a place on this planet long before we came along, and should continue to do so. But we do too. It will all boil down to a very sad choice eventually. Planet Earth is finite. Populations aren't. Who will have to go? Realistically, we all know the answer to that question. If we go whole hog to re-establish wolf populations, we'll alienate the very people who's support we need to keep the wolf. If we control them and keep losses to a minimum, public sentiment might just lean towards keeping them around a little bit longer.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.03344 seconds with 8 queries