View Single Post
Old March 22, 2013, 03:32 AM   #11
natman

Quote:
"And [in] the recent decision declaring the right of someone to own a weapon in their home for self-protection, Justice [Antonin] Scalia acknowledged that you can constitutionally ban certain types of weapons. And so I haven't given up on this."
This is the typical practice of taking a couple of words completely out of context and then spinning a different meaning out of them. (Remember all the fuss about the word "militia"?) Let's take a look at what Scalia actually wrote:

Quote:
2. Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons.
So what weapons can be restricted? "Dangerous and unusual weapons" (i.e. NFA) that are NOT “in common use at the time”.

If an AR isn't “in common use at the time” I don't know what is.

Last edited by Tom Servo; March 22, 2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Redacted politics

Page generated in 0.02932 seconds with 8 queries