View Single Post
Old April 14, 2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Sevens

Titegroup also has a reputation for running HOT, hotter than anything comparable. It's not that folks are measuring it's flame temp, it's that guns are getting HOTTER with fewer rounds through them.

On the other hand, Titegroup also has a reputation for being incredibly uncaring and insensitive to powder position, making it a good choice for light loads in HUGE cases, where the placement of the powder can make the round act erratically. Fine example is a light bullet load in .45 Colt where tipping the revolver down or skyward between shots can dramatically alter the performance of each round. In limited use -- I have found this reputation to be true.

There's no doubt that Titegroup has a very small window/range in published data. It meters well, so the hope is that you can drop charges that are consistent and in that window.

I have never worried about the possibility of a double charge (or more) when it comes to picking powders. In fact, I think if that is a genuine concern at someone's load bench, they need to address that concern properly rather than trying to pick a fluffy powder whose pouring over the edge of the case is their only clue to pending catastrophic failure.

Really. If you load full progressive, get a powder cop and illuminate the area and build a failsafe in to your routine. If you load single stage, get the whole tray of charged rounds under a light. Every single time. If you can't be bothered with that, you have earned your eventual failure.

If you've ever loaded a round of .38 Special...you'll see that with a low pressure round in a long case, there just aren't a lot of powders out there that would even overflow with a double charge in .38 Special. Picking a powder specifically to take up space because you don't have a method to ensure a proper charge in your routine? You've got problems that can't be corrected by powder choice.

Page generated in 0.02915 seconds with 8 queries