View Single Post
Old November 25, 2010, 05:03 PM   #1
johnm1

Daughter's First Javelina

Here is Alysa's first big game animal. It was taken Tuesday 11/23/10 @ 3:15 PM at 115 yards.

Alysa Javelina 1.jpg

We had a lot of help from a local rancher locating the animals but it was Alysa's strategy that actually sealed the deal. The rancher pointed us to a place where two washes merged into one. There was a hill right in the middle of the convergence and that is where I thought we should set up. It offered the clearest view of all three washes. But Alysa chose to set up on the cliffs on the East side of the convergence. It was higher but the hill in the middle blocked some of the view of one of the washes. Turns out the animal was taken in almost the exact spot I would have had her set up at. She is only 16 but seems to have a natural instinct.

The herd moved across the hill fairly quick and the largest animal was out of sight in a moment. One remained on top of the hill eating. I asked if she wanted to wait for the larger animal to return but she wasn't interested in the largest. The one remaining animal posed a head on shot only, slightly quartering but it was standing still. I told her it was a decent sized animal and called the distance of 115 yards. She knew to aim 2" low but all she had for a target was a head shot. She was prone on a rock 40 or 50 feet above the animal but for some reason couldn't use the bi pod. So the shot was prone but the fore end was supported by her left arm both elbows on the rock she had lain down on. She aimed for the center of mass of what she had. The head. The shot entered the right side about 1" above and 1" in front of the ear and exited the left side about 1" below and 1" behind the left ear. I knew she could shoot but I wasn't sure if she could hit an animal as well as she could shoot paper. Question answered.

Here is a picture of the exit wound (the photo i have of the entrance wound is too large to post directly).

Alysa Javelina Exit 1.jpg

Lots of stories and memories came out of the 5 days spent on this hunt.

Page generated in 0.03315 seconds with 9 queries