View Single Post
Old January 31, 2010, 01:25 PM   #20
DPris
Member Emeritus

A clarification on the Express models.
The original Express guns used the same forged extractor & springs as the regular 870s (Wingmasters, etc.). The Express line was introduced with a no-polish finish, cheaper wood, and so on to be more affordable. I bought one in about '91 for work & later sent it off to the original Scattergun Tech to be bobbed and rendered into their 14-inch Border Patrol Model. Aside from the work they did on it (some of which the current Wilson-owned Scattergun Technologies does not offer), it's fairly plain in appearance with ST ghostring sights and no other external bolt-ons besides a one-round mag extension and Desert Tan Speedfeed furniture. Good pad & a 1907-style leather sling on it now.

Current Express 870s use a MIM extractor that reportedly wears quicker than the older forged versions, among other internal differences.

I have absolute confidence in my old Express, but for defensive purposes I think you can do better than a new Express.

Also have an old Highway Patrol 870 I bought about 10 years ago that was sent to Vang Comp for a rebuild. Hans did a great job, it currently also has Speedfeed furniture and a basic nylon sling. No external gadgetry, the money was mostly spent on the inside, with ghostring sights on top.
You can get by quite well with an older police 870 trade-in without spending a lot of money on it, but not all are good to go as is. Mine was probably a 1960s gun & it needed work, some of those old warhorses have been around the block a few times & not all were well taken care of.

I've worked with the Express Tactical & the 870 PMax. I bought the PMax. They are not the same gun, not the same quality.
The Express is far from junk and it'll perform the basic defensive function. They do work. It's just not comparable to the police guns, and again- you can do better starting out as well as over the long run.

The PMax still sits as it came from the factory, with no add-ons done. One of these days I'll send the barrel off to Vang to be backbored & ported, but it really doesn't need anything else aside from a large-head safety button. It came pretty much ready to go.
More money than an Express, but if you have the cash to be buying all those doodads listed, it'd be far better spent on a higher quality tool up front than in counterproductive bolt-ons later on.

If you have the money, put it where it does the most good.

Denis

Page generated in 0.03946 seconds with 8 queries