View Single Post
Old August 26, 2013, 12:41 PM   #24
dahermit

Quote:
Quote:
but also to stay away from the high-end competition target guns which have the imperative to optimize accuracy over velocity
Quote:
Not quite. Target air pistols my not be THE most powerful ones, but are almost always quite near the top (around 500 FPS in .177), as it has been found that lower velocities keep accuracy down. I think that Crosman sole target offering, the 1720T PCP, is also their most powerful one, at around 750 FPS.
It is generally held by dedicated air-gun hunters that the velocity produced should be about 1,000 fps. The velocities you mention are way below that.
I have a HW 55, which is a intermediately priced target rifle. I tested it on chickens that I normally killed by shooting in the head with a .22 long rifle. I found that even with a head-shot, the HW55 did not produce a fast kill. I was told on a Air Gun forum that my rifle was likely only to produce about 850 fps inasmuch as it was a dedicated target rifle. Air Gun Digest likewise recommends 1000 fps or more, for hunting squirrels.

Page generated in 0.03110 seconds with 8 queries