View Single Post
Old April 27, 2014, 08:57 AM   #7
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangentabacus
Anything in my criteria that is rebuildable? That's one of those things that baffles me (no pun intended) that you buy something so expensive and you can't replace the parts easily.
You don't want or need a rifle suppressor that can be rebuilt. Most rifle suppressors are sealed, and that makes them stronger and simpler (and therefore lighter) than if they could be disassembled by the consumer. Considering high-end rifle silencers are made of inconel (or, in SilencerCo's case, stellite) they're already heavy enough. So making them even heavier isn't very popular with the consumer.

You don't need to clean the internals of a rifle can, so the only reason to make it able to be disassembled is for the customer to be able to rebuild it, but that wouldn't be legal: It's against the law for someone to have any extra silencer parts. He would have to send it in to the manufacturer to rebuild it anyways. And considering modern rifle silencers last for many tens of thousands of rounds, most people will never shoot them enough to need a re-build: You'll shoot your barrel out long before you shoot out your suppressor.

That said, there are some companies that sell rifle silencers that can easily be disassembled and rebuilt by the manufacturer. But they tend to be louder and heavier, so I would never own one.

Page generated in 0.02596 seconds with 8 queries