View Single Post
Old June 29, 2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Mohave-Tec

New rifle build failure. I'm calling for an AR doctor here.

I finished building my first AR 15 yesterday. Here it is in its earliest carnation.

So even though it was 100 degrees at 8:30 this morning at 4000 feet elevation I wanted to at least get out and run the barrel in. Now I've put together numerous bolt guns before and I'm a pretty handy mechanic but my experience this morning was dismal. I couldn't get off 2 rounds before a failure occurred. In the desert I wasn't able to make any determinations as to what was going on but back here at home after cleaning up the gun I am seeing some issues. Please give me a hand if you can?!

I hand load. I've developed 2 loads for other 223 rifles I have (KelTec SU16C and a Savage Axis 223) so I started out with the simpler hand load for those guns to run the new barrel in. The load on the middle is that load. It is a Remington 55gr Power-Lokt over 24.5 gr H335 with a COL of 2.182 to mimic the factory load sold at Wal Mart. The load on the left is a 60gr VMax over 25gr of Varget with a COL of 2.250. On the far right is one of the many Power-Lokt rounds I killed in my upped receiver this morning on its way to cambering. The next picture sounds one of these rounds nearly folded over.

I know next to nothing about ARs but I know other rifles. It looks as if I am having fail-to-eject issues then I'm slamming a new round into the back of the still chambered but spent case in front of it. What is doing this? I have a couple suspicions but would love to hear your opinions.

The rifle is currently a Frankengun. I got it in my head a couple weeks ago I wanted to build an AR and though I want a certain quality, I was obliged to pick up what I could in some cases if I wanted to get this thing built in a month. Some of the hardware I believe might be to blames. Here it goes.

In this picture you see an fairly well made AR Stoner 18 inch mid gassed Wylde chambed barrel over extended into a slick sided DPMS upper. First thing that bugs me is the feed ramp alignments. Not only is the barrel's feed ramps further into the receiver than the receiver's feed ramps but clearly the right feed ramp aligns but the left ramp does not. I think both the depth and alignment issues are making my rather short reloads bounce and making it difficult for them to chamber. What do you think might happen here?

Also, with the 18 inch mid gassed barrel I have an adjustable gas block on it but the adjustment is wide open as I cannot tell the relationship between the gas port and the jet (set screw) that regulates gas flow in the block. This and the buffer weight is 2.9 ounces when I'm thinking something much heavier might help with this gas/barrel configuration? Maybe?

Lastly, and what scares me the most is that it is a BCM BCG that is failing to eject the spent cases from the chamber. Why would this be?

I'd appreciate any help I can get on this. Since I am in "very hungry nube learning mode" I am going to cross post this thread in another forum to see how much I can learn about all this.
Thanks again.

Oh, by the way, this rifle is majorly accurate and the most repeatable off shoulder 200 yard COM I have ever shot......f I can keep it shooting.

Page generated in 0.04017 seconds with 8 queries