View Single Post
Old July 7, 2000, 02:10 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Gee, I hate to win the "tall tale" deal by default. Here's one on me, about distance; this is "no stuff".

I saw a buck meddling around with a doe, off a fair distance across a valley. I figured him for a bit over 400 yards. I sat down, got a good rest, held two feet over his back in line with the shoulder and touched it off.

Four times! Didn't faze him at all. On the fifth shot, he lifted his near hind foot and sniffed the toe. Otherwise, he was still unconcerned about anything but the doe.

I held some four feet into the wind, and held a bit higher. Six, seven and eight! Nada!

By mutual consent, the doe wandered south, and the buck headed calmly down the hill toward me. After maybe 100 yards, he stopped and posed prettily, looking straight at me.

I held just above his horns and let go with number nine. I center-punched him in the lower chest, right through the heart.

I guesstimated that my first shots were hitting some 5-1/2 feet below the crosshairs; the final shot, 3 feet. So, my first efforts were at around 550 yards; the final shot had to have been a good bit over 400.

The toe sniff? The bullet had gone between the toes, barely grazing the skin.

Estimating distance across a valley can be quite self-deceiving...

Art

Page generated in 0.03511 seconds with 8 queries