View Single Post
Old August 17, 2012, 06:12 PM   #39
dacaur

Quote:
I started working in industry in 1966 and still have tools that I used back then. They are all the big names with prices to match. I have the high Dollar micrometers, calipers and indicators and a lot of the HF cheapies. I have no problems with any of it regardless of brand.

A co-worker beefed about my Chinese tools and cussed them at length. He said he would only buy quality tools. When his tools came in, I pointed out the "Made in China" tags on the tools. It pains me to say that but that's exactly how it is.

Flash
Starret, brown & sharp, and mitutoyo, none are made in china. If his "high dollar" tools were made in china, chances are he got ripped off.

In the machine shop I work in, from time to time we get a "machinist" that comes in with a toolbox full of harbor freight tools. They never last long, because you simply CANNOT hold tight tolerances with cheap tools. As I said above, when brand new, most of them work fine. But as they are used, they will wear, and slop is introduced.

Reloading, you are unlikely to wear out a cheap caliper, and even if you did, it really wouldn't matter. +/- .005-.010 isnt really going to blow anyone up. It is going to affect accuracy, but most people wouldn't notice.

So in this particular case, a cheap tool is as good as an expensive one, but anyone that things that is ALWAYS the case is fooling themselves....

Page generated in 0.03226 seconds with 8 queries