Thread: Lee's new press
View Single Post
Old November 8, 2007, 09:13 AM   #5
Leeman

Testing the Breech Lock Challenger

The new Breech Lock Press is great improvement over my old Challenger. I felt the same as Seldfenz about the lock-N-load type feature. The extra cost for inserts didn’t thrill me. You don’t have to use them as you can screw your dies in and out as before. Because you get 3 Breech Lock insert with the press, I had to try them and found they it certainly speeded die changes. I'll keep them on my favorite 222 Remington Magnum. I’d like to see a Breech lock hand press for loading at my shooting bench.

The obvious other improvements are great. The press has all steel linkage, no zinc castings. The primer catcher is flawless and convenient. The fit and finish is great. Actually my press was set up too tight and I had to loosen the toggle bolts slightly for that silky smooth feel. Virtually no play in the linkage.

I do like priming my handgun ammo on the press and the lever prime system is slick. With the Lee Safety prime I can use any brand of primer.

I agree with Seldenz about loading rifle cases. I prime as a separate operation after case trimming. Many times I know case won’t need trimming so those can be done on the press and save a lot of time. Be sure to leave the promer arm in, as it directs the spent primers into the hole in the ram.

Aluminum presses don’t bother me. Pound for pound aluminum presses are at four times stronger than cast iron. Figure it out. Cast iron has 30,000 PSI tensile strength. A380 die cast aluminum has 47,000 PSI tensile strength. Aluminum is 1/3 the weight of iron.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar142.htm

Last edited by Leeman; November 8, 2007 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added link to real guns for more info

Page generated in 0.02258 seconds with 8 queries