View Single Post
Old April 16, 2006, 12:31 PM   #17
itgoesboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer
I think you should look very seriously at Barnes Bullets

The MRX would greatly increase your chances of good clean kills, especially at long ranges...
The MRX is on the short list of loads that I am going to be testing for accuracy as this little project moves forward. Federal makes a load using that, and since I am not reloading (yet), I will give it, and a few others a try.

Right now the 180gr Gameking load is a known load in my rifle, I know it is capable of very good accuracy, although I really need to do some more testing on it.

I know some people have had problems with it, but that has almost always been when they have loaded it hot, and shot it at short range, and the bullet just isn't designed for that. I need to contact Sierra to find out at what velocities it will still expand at though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman
My personal "mental limit" has always been around 400 yards. 350 on in? No problem. However, with a laser range finder, I might be comfortable to 500. I'd go to worrying a lot more about wind and a good field rest on a pack or some such than either distance or killing power.
Thanks for chiming in Art! Wind is the real variable in the equation, and I am probably going to have to pass up shots because of that at some point. Field rest won't be too much of a problem, either using a bipod, backpack, or a stump, I should be able to get a good rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invssgt
I have played with the '06 out to 880 yards (measured) and you get one hell of a lot of drop at a half mile- even if you're zeroed for 500. My test for determining my max field range with any rig is pretty simple, and best done on a calm day.
There is quite a bit of drop out there, yeah. I don't plan on playing out that far. Target practice will be out to 600, and if my accuracy holds, and everything comes together, my shots on game will be <500.

As for zeroing, I am going to get a scope with target turrets, set my zero @ 100 or 200, and then figure the correct amount of clicks for the longer ranges. That way I can pick my shot more precisely.

Wind is ofcourse going to be a major factor, and I am going to have to be disciplined to not take shots in windy conditions at the longer ranges.

I should mention here though, I am not going to be out looking for long range shots. My intent right now is only to set up my rifle in such a way that if the only shot that is presented to me is a longer range shot, and the conditions are right for it, that I can ethically take the shot.

If I am presented a shot at 100yards, I will take that instead, and if I see an animal at 500 yards, even if I am comfortable with that range, if there is a way I can stalk in closer, I intend to do that as well.

I.G.B.

Page generated in 0.02478 seconds with 8 queries