View Single Post
Old May 19, 2009, 11:56 PM   #5
tyme
Staff

Lack of 2nd amendment incorporation will not keep the feds from passing anti-gun laws. The interstate commerce clause gives them all the power they need to pass those laws. The only barrier to more federal anti-gun laws is a proper reading of the 2nd amendment, and that applies to the feds regardless of incorporation.

There are already national standards: heavy restrictions on ownership and transport of title 2 weapons (MGs, SBRs, suppressors), and an import ban on a variety of innocuous semi-auto firearms. Not to mention the obvious restrictions that force interstate transfers to go through FFLs.

The only way in which I see the incorporation debate possibly fueling more federal anti-gun laws is by bringing firearms issues into the limelight and allowing the anti-gun media machine to convince joe average that up is down, black is white, thus delivering enough popular support for gun bans to allow congress to pass one.

Still, even in that case the problem is not incorporation itself, but rather the media attention that the incorporation debate will generate.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Page generated in 0.02361 seconds with 8 queries